I am off to Nashville for the next 5 days! I cannot wait for all of the adventures and fun that we are going to have. I have posts scheduled for the week and you can follow me on instagram if you want to keep in touch with me day to day.
Saturday was all about family. I spent the day with my parents, sister, and grandparents as we celebrated my sister's graduation from high school. There was piano playing, good food, s'mores, and I even inherited a couple of great records that used to be my mom's. It was an absolutely beautiful day and I'm so happy that we all got to spend some quality time together.
I really enjoyed doing a "Currently" post last week so I decided to do it again this week :)
Reading: MWF Seeking A BFF. I'm about 1/3 into this book and am enjoying it so far. It focuses on a woman's journey to make new best friends after moving to another state. Some of the ideas presented in this book are really interesting and I find the author's approach to making friends fascinating. I also really enjoy reading about all of her "friend dates."
Listening to: Ok, so I am going to get on my soapbox here for a minute and just tell you how great the new Hanson album is. Anthem came out on Tuesday and I think it might be the band's best album yet. I know that most people are easily turned off when they hear the word "Hanson" because they still picture three little long-haired boys singing "Mmmbop." Their music has changed so much since then and this album really proves that. Anyway, I am loving this record and it's in heavy rotation.
Thinking about: friendships. Maybe it's the book I'm reading or maybe it's something else but recently I have really been caught up in thinking about friends. I am the type of person who likes to have a few close friends. I don't need to hang out with a mass of people- I think that can lead to a lot of drama really fast. I am not the type of person who is constantly going out. Sometimes though I start to wonder as to whether I need more friends or not. Is it a bad thing that I have a couple days a week where I really have nothing to do and can just read a book or hang out and have time to myself? I am open to making new friends, but I just really don't know how to go about doing it. What about you? Do you like hanging out with lots of people or do you just keep a close group of friends?
Watching: HGTV Star. I really got hooked on this show last Summer and I love that it is back on. I have always been a fan of interior decorating (my Aunt is an interior decorator) and I love seeing all of the different creative styles that are displayed on this show. It's also a great place to gather inspiration and diy ideas.
Bummed out on: the fact that Chick-fil-a apparently doesn't make the caesar salad wrap anymore! This was always one of my favorite things to get there because even though it's still fast food it was a healthy option. Plus, it was delicious. Guess I will have to find a new favorite. I've heard that they have a whole new salad menu.
Loving: the fact that I will be in Nashville, TN in less than a week. I am so excited to head down south and spend some time with my family exploring a city that I love. It has also just hit me though that I have so much to do before I leave. I haven't even thought about what I need to pack yet. Ahhhhh!
As I'm thinking up ideas for future blog posts I wonder if there are any suggestions of things that you would like to see on the blog. My group of readers truly mean the world to me. I am amazed that some of you stop by everyday to leave a comment! The love that I get from you guys is overwhelming and I am so thankful for it. So feel free to throw out suggestions! Let me know if there are things I can improve on or specific types of posts that you all would like to see.
I got the idea for today's post from Dani over at Sometimes Sweet. I love it when she does these kinds of posts and thought that I would try it out for myself :)
Reading: Right now I am finishing up Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close. This is a pretty quick & easy read for summer. I would have to say that it's entertaining but it's not one of my favorites. Some of the writing seems choppy and the characters aren't fully developed. However, it is a nice chick book and a fun little read.
Listening to: I am beyond excited to finally be listening to new music from The Civil Wars. When I first heard "The One that Got Away" it wasn't what I was expecting but I instantly fell in love with it. They still have their old sound but this is definitely more rock and roll. Lovin' it!
Feeling thankful: I'm so happy that I got to meet up with my friend, Megan, for Starbucks this week. We just sat and caught up for about three hours. We sat outside and soaked in the sun while we sipped on iced vanilla lattes. It was so nice to see her and reminisce about our high school days.
Thinking about: I have been starting to open up and work on writing music again. It's been a long time since I actually felt like I was capable of writing something, anything. Every once in a while I would pick up my guitar or journal and try to produce a song or a lyric and nothing would come out that I liked or was inspired by. This past week or so I have actually found myself writing things down and working on little melodies that I am really excited about. I'm just glad that I am back to a place where I am actually wanting to write.
Eating: Blueberry mini wheats. I am still trying very hard to stick to my diet but when it came to breakfast I was starting to get tired of cheerios. I like the mini wheats because I know that they are a good source of fiber and the blueberry just adds a nice flavor in there. There is more sugar in them than cheerios but it's not an outrageous amount so I can handle that.
Watching: We've rented two movies in the last week. First, we watched Identity Thief. I already liked this movie before I saw it solely because Jason Bateman was in it. (I love me some Jason) This movie wasn't great but I thought it was good. There were multiple times when I laughed out loud. I thought some scenes were unnecessary but all around it was a movie that I would watch again. We also rented Oz with James Franco and Michelle Williams. This movie wasn't really what I expected. There were a lot of parts that seemed trippy and strange and some things were just straight up weird. I did think that the last 45 minutes of the movie were very good and I liked a lot of the special effects. I'm happy that I saw it but I really don't need to watch it again.
Bummed out on: At the moment I am not going to any concerts this summer. Either the bands that I love aren't touring or they aren't playing at any nearby venues. I am still trying to coax someone into going and seeing Hanson with me. I've even offered to buy the other person's ticket and I still have no takers :(
Loving: The new VSCO cam app. I have been playing around with it a lot this week and I can't get enough of it! It gives photos a dreamy film effect that always leaves me smitten. I am so happy that they finally made this app available. I know that I am going to be using it non-stop.
On Saturday I went to old Ellicott City with a friend. It is such a charming place with rows of antique stores and boutiques and plenty of old architecture. We took our time and walked around, peaking into some fun little shops, and then stopped for dinner. The weather was perfect and it was nice to just relax and explore. I hadn't been to Ellicott City for a few years and it was lovely to go back. We found out that on the weekends they play movies on the side of a building so we are definitely going to try that this Summer!
Today I just wanted to share a couple of items & trends that I am loving for summer!
1. BDG West/East Tote Bag// A big leather tote is perfect for summer. I'm the kind of girl who likes bags that she can throw EVERYTHING in. With this bag you can carry your magazines, camera, laptop, and all your other essentials. It's perfect for everyday running around and even trips to the beach.
2. Mini Diana// This tiny little film camera is easy to carry and will make the perfect companion for day trips. A cute way to capture memories!
3. Round Sunglasses// I am a huge fan of round sunglasses. Personally, I think they are quite bohemian and add that John & Yoko flare to any look. These are from Nordstrom but I also grabbed a nice pair from Urban Outfitters.
4. Muscle Tees// Muscle tees seem to be all the rage this summer and I am jumping on the bandwagon. These shirts have a light and oversized look that is great for summer. You can throw them over a bathing suit or pair them with shorts!
5. Denim Boyfriend Shorts// When it comes to buying shorts I am pretty picky. I don't like them to be too short but I also don't like when they are really long. I have fallen in love with boyfriend-cut denim shorts. I like the distressed look and they have a nice shape to them. This particular pair is from American Eagle.
6. Turquoise Cuffs// I have always loved turquoise jewelry and it is making a comeback this summer. Southwestern cuffs and necklaces make the perfect accessory to any look. You can layer cuffs on top of one another to create a super bohemian look or just wear one as a simple statement piece.
7. Tramper Ankle Hi Boot// I own quite a few pairs of Minnetonka's and these are next on my list to buy. I love the ankle height boots and the tie-up laces in the front. These would look great with a pair of shorts!
8. Southwestern Scarf// I think that this scarf from Forever 21 is so lovely but unfortunately it's sold out :( Every girl needs a couple of pretty colorful scarfs for summer. These are fun just to stuff in your purse and have when your out on the go. I like to wear them with a white tee but you can also use them as a head scarf!
I am so excited to do a post as part of Misfit Isle's "Five on 5" link-up! The idea was to share 5 Summer reads and since I have so many books that I want to read this Summer I couldn't think of a more perfect topic!
1. The Great Gatsby // F. Scott Fitzgerald- Whenever I am asked what my favorite book is "The Great Gatsby" is always my answer. Fitzgerald is possibly my favorite author of all time and this has to be one of my favorite pieces of his. I have read this book numerous times and can't wait to read it again this Summer.
2. An Object of Beauty // Steve Martin- When I first looked at this book I had no idea that it was written by THE Steve Martin. I have only heard wonderful things about his writing and can't wait to crack this open!
3. Eleanor & Park // Rainbow Rowell- This is just one of the books by Rainbow that I have on my Summer list. It circles around the relationship of two misfits who fall in love over music and sounds kinda perfect.
4. Fire & Rain // David Browne- I had mentioned this book a while back. I had started reading it and loved it but ended up putting it aside because I had a library book that I needed to finish. I can't wait to get back into it! It tells stories about the Beatles, James Taylor, and Neil Young that make you feel as though you were part of the band. The writing is fantastic as well.
5. Z // Therese Anne Fowler- You cannot love Fitzgerald and not have an interest in his wife, Zelda. This book looks fantastic! It takes you through life through Zelda's eyes as she meets F. Scott, deals with his fame, and eventually reaches her own downfall. It's a biography that reads like a piece of fiction and I can't wait to read it!
Monday mornings can be the worst. Sometimes it's so hard to wake up and realize that you actually have to get out of bed! I am a fan of lazy weekends. Everyone needs those days where they can just relax and take time to do things that they want to do without feeling pressured by work or other responsibilities. I spent time on Saturday laying out in the sun (it was almost 90 degrees here!) and then hung out with a sweet friend. Then on Sunday I spent time in the Word and worked on finishing up my first official read of the Summer. Nothing too exciting, but I still loved this weekend nonetheless.
What did you do this weekend?! I want to hear all of the details :)